5 New Year’s Resolutions for Small Businesses – and How to Make Them Work

Year by year, resolutions are being made by individuals, families, and even businesses. And while we at Global Enablement believes everyone can make changes any time of the year, it’s not a bad idea to start the year with positive changes, as long as you stick to it and be consistent.

Now, that’s the hard part. Listing things that need to be changed is not difficult. Starting and following through it is the challenge. Today, we’ll provide you with few things you can change to improve your small business and ways to stick to your resolution for good.

Business New Year’s Resolutions for 2017

  1. I will continuously promote my business.

    It’s not unusual for businesses to delay self-promotion activities to prioritise client work. However, this will prevent your business from growing and it limits you to catering only your current clients.

    This year, hire a marketing company to handle this aspect of your business. Another efficient yet less expensive option is to utilise social media and your own blog post for your content marketing.

  2. Adapt to better, more efficient, technology.

    Use bookkeeping software instead of doing it manually. Buy a more powerful and effective desktop computer instead of sticking to your slow and prone to damage laptop. Buy a smartphone to run your business on the go. Improve the functionalities of your website and make it fresh.

    Those are just a few things you can do this coming year. It can be hard to start anew when you’re used to your old ways, but changing for the better will always put you one step forward.

  3. I will delegate more tasks.

    If you’re doing everything at once, you might be stretching yourself too thin. This can not only lead to burnout, but also to mediocre results.

    This year, start delegating tasks to employees or outsource partners. This can lead to better results while you gain a healthy work-life balance.

    So, instead of writing your own blog posts, have someone else do it. Instead of endlessly trying to make your website better, have a web developer or designer to look at it. Instead of doing other things you’re not an expert in, hire an expert to do it for you.

    Commit to focusing on your core business and delegate repetitive, boring, or complicated tasks to those who excel at it.

  4. I will adapt the Pareto Principle (80/20 Rule)

    The Pareto Principle states that 20% of your input brings 80% of the results. For example, 20% of your clients are responsible for 80% of your income.

    If you focus your effort on that 20% of your clients that are bringing in money, you can leave the remaining 80% that’s not bringing in good results. This way, you might be able to develop a stronger relationship with the 20% clients and maybe bring new prospects who’s got better potential on board.

    Starting this year, focus on what’s important and drop what’s not working for you.

  5. I will learn something new

    No matter how good you are at what you do, there is always room for improvement. Always look for new ways to develop your products or services, learn basic marketing, or study customer psychology. Expanding your knowledge stimulates your brain and helps you broaden your skill set and increase business opportunities.

    It doesn’t have to be always related to business, however. Learn a new hobby or take personal development courses as these activities can help you learn more about yourself which you can apply to your small business.

All these may sound easy, but it won’t matter if you can’t make it work. That said, here are some tips to help you stick to your new year’s resolutions:

  • Set SMART goals – SMART goals are Specific, Measurable, Achievable and/or Actionable, Relevant and/or Realistic, and Time-bound.
  • Regularly track progress
  • Ask someone to hold you accountable.
  • Be patient.
  • If you slip, get back up and try again.

Now that 2016 has ended, we’re here to face yet another year. There are always possibilities of challenges, of difficulties, and even failures. But there is also room for positive results, milestone achievements, and tremendous success. All it takes is the willingness to find ways to grow, to stand back up, and to face whatever is ahead of us.

From the whole team of Global Enablement, we wish you a happy and prosperous New Year!

Not that you need it, but good luck!

Comments are closed.